HISTORY OF STARK 100
Stark County CUSD #100, a consolidation of the former Unit District of Toulon/LaFayette and the former High School and Elementary Districts of Wyoming, is located in central Illinois approximately 30 miles north and west of Peoria. The name “Stark County” is a somewhat misleading name for the school district since not all children residing in the county of Stark attend District #100 schools. Some students reside in the county of Stark but attend school in the county’s other public school district: Bradford #1. Additionally, some children residing in the neighboring counties of Knox, Henry and Marshall reside within District 100 boundaries and attend Stark County District 100 schools.
Ten small towns dot the 242 square mile district that was founded in 1992. The district serves Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade students in three buildings on two campuses in Wyoming and Toulon. Bradford CUSD #1, a neighboring district, deactivated its high school a few years ago and now sends several students each year to Stark County High School.
The District’s first superintendent was W. David Turner. The members of the original school board were Thomas Boudreau, Sandra Clark, Vicki Hamilton, R. Lynn Keller, Christopher McMillen, Robert Musselman and Charles Terwilliger.
Robert Mueller served as superintendent from1993 through 2002. Dr. Craig Carter was superintendent from 2002 – 2005 and Mr. Jerry Klooster has served as superintendent since 2005.
Stark County High School students have always attended school in Toulon at the former Toulon High School building. During the first few years of District 100’s existence, the High School housed only 10th – 12th graders. During those years, the District’s 7th – 9th graders attended Junior High school at the former Wyoming High School building and the K- 6th grade students attended school in both Toulon and Wyoming.
In 1998, 9th grade students began attending high school in Toulon. Concurrently, 6th graders began attending junior high school in Wyoming and all 5th graders began attending grade school in Wyoming. K – 4th grade students continued to attend schools in both towns.
In 2002, in order to consolidate programs, all K-3 students began attending school at the Wyoming Elementary School and all 4th – 5th grade students began attending school at the Toulon Elementary School.
Finally, in 2006, following a $3.3 million building referendum and large building additions is both towns, all K-5 students began attending elementary school at the Wyoming Elementary School building and all 6-8 students began attending junior high at the Toulon Elementary School building.
In 2006, the academic wing of the former Wyoming High School building was closed and the portion of the building that remained in use was renamed the “Stark County Athletic Complex”. At the same time, the former Wyoming Elementary School was renamed the “Stark County Elementary School” and the former Toulon Elementary School was renamed the “Stark County Junior High School.”
Pre-K classes have taken place in both towns since 1992, but classes currently take place only in Wyoming.
When the District first opened its doors for the 1992-1993 school year, it enrolled 986 K – 12 students and employed 79 certified staff. This actually represented an enrollment peak for the district. The District reached its employment peak in 2001 when 92 certified staff members were on the job. For the 2017-2018 school year, the enrollment for District 100 is 734 students and the district employs just 62 full-time and part-time certified staff members.
The original total equalized assessed value for District 100 was $39,428,960. The current District EAV is $104,409,006.
The SCHS building in Toulon was built in 1923 with an addition added in 1959. A major fire in 1942 caused significant damage to the south-west portion of the school. This building has undergone extensive health life safety improvements and renovations during the past few years.
The Wyoming High School building was built and dedicated in 1927. In 1955 and 1979, additions, which included a gymnasium, farm shop, science room, home economics room and cafeteria were completed. In 2010, the main building was sold by the School District at auction to the WyHi Community group.
The current SCJHS building in Toulon was completed in 1949. An addition was completed in 1956. This structure has also undergone significant renovation and upgrades including the addition of a new band room and cafeteria in 2006 and window replacement in 2013.
The SCES building in Wyoming is the newest of the Stark County schools. Construction on this building was finished in 1960. Three additions have taken place at this site: A 1971 addition of classrooms on the west end of the building. A 2002 addition of classrooms and a Unit Office on the south end of the building; and finally, a 2006 addition of classrooms and a cafeteria on the building’s north end.
Stark County CUSD #100 has had a tradition of high expectations, excellent service to its constituents, outstanding instructors, strong extracurricular programs and successful graduates. The mission of District 100 continues to be to “provide a strong educational foundation that prepares students to realize their greatest potential.”